Human Resources Business Partner
New Visions for Public Schools’ goal is radically disrupting the cycle of poverty by improving student achievement, resilience and creating and sustaining a network of high performing schools for New York City’s highest-need students.
New Visions for Public Schools believes that the best way to strengthen schools is to develop the professional capacity of teachers, principals and administrators. Our mission is to ensure all New York City public school students, regardless of race or economic class, have access to a high-quality education that prepares them for the rigors of college and the challenges when entering the workforce. We are committed to sharing innovative tools, strategies and lessons learned in New Visions Schools with others in New York and throughout the country to prove that meaningful change is achievable at scale and success is possible for every child.
New Visions for Public Schools works with the NYC Department of Education to provide instructional and operational support to 80 high needs public schools throughout the five boroughs and 6 Charter High Schools in the Bronx and in Brooklyn. Working in partnership with parents and the community, it is the mission of New Visions to provide students with an education that is relevant and meaningful today by equipping them with the tools to succeed in college and beyond.
The business partner will provide Human Resources Generalist support to New Visions and New Visions Charter school staff in the attainment of individual and organizational performance goals, while also helping to ensure adherence to organizational policies, procedures and applicable labor law regulations. This includes, but is not limited to, delivering excellent services in the areas recruitment, employee relations, performance management, training, compensation and benefits. The HR Business Partner forges positive and constructive relationships with staff across all levels while remaining an objective and impartial upholder of fair and ethical business practices.
Essential Job Functions
Under the direction, guidance, and support from the Director of Human Resources, the HR Business Partner will be responsible for the following duties related to employee relations, performance management, policy, training, recruitment, onboarding, compensation, benefits, and reporting:
Employee Relations and Performance Management
- Provides advice and counsel on a wide variety of personnel issues, including conflict resolution
- Provide guidance and counsel on performance management systems including performance reviews, objective setting, individual development plans, and corrective action protocols
- Maintain internal employee relation and coaching logs and performance management tracking reports for management review
- Provide outplacement counseling for reductions in force and conduct exit interviews on all voluntary resignations
- Under the direction of the HR Director participate in investigations of misconduct, including maintaining the appropriate documentation
- Conduct job analysis’ and provide support in the writing and review of job descriptions
Policy and Training
- Ensure managerial compliance and understanding of all applicable labor laws and internal policies, procedures, and practices
- Identify managerial skill development needs and deliver small group trainings to enhance managerial competence and understanding of organizational policies and procedures
- Act as primary resource for staff and mangers on all internal policies and directing them to appropriate resources, or providing forms and procedures relevant to their immediate needs; includes leave policies such as FMLA, Workers’ Compensation, Short-Term Disability and personal leave of absences
- Knowledge of pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, including HIPAA, ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, OSHA, EEO, Medicare and Section 125/132 plans
Recruitment and Onboarding
- Lead full-cycle recruitment and selection efforts, including hiring approval process, job posting, candidate sourcing and screening, development of talent pool, and management assistance in interviewing
- Manage communications and correspondence with candidates, both those selected and not selected
- Manage onboarding process, including sending of offer letter and ensuring all new hire paperwork is completed on or prior to his/her first day of employment
- Maintain current information about staff, open positions and applicants
- Lead New Hire Orientations
- Manage security clearances and license/certification verifications as part of new hire processing and filing
- Produce timely and accurate reporting, including staff census data, hiring pipelines, and other metrics/analytical reports as assigned
- Coordinate benefits education, open enrollment sessions, and processing of enrollments and changes
- Provide guidance and support for salary administration and recognition programs
- Maintain confidentiality of information. Take steps to ensure documents, files and information are kept secure and employee related information is not shared outside of a “business need” context
- Guide, manage and monitor the hiring, promotion, transfer and termination processes
Secondary Job Functions
- Initiate, manage, or participate in special projects in support of organizational initiatives, including all HR related events
- Document process procedures and guidelines so that all members of HR Dept can serve as a back-up if required
- Recommend process/customer service improvements, innovative solutions, and/or policy changes to enhance HR service delivery and effectiveness
- Provide support on employment verifications and personnel filing as needed
Interacts with: Vendors and staff at all levels, including Senior Management
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Able to work effectively in both independently and in a team environment, approaching problems and conflicts professionally and constructively. Helps others succeed and cooperates effectively.
- Reliably meets commitments and accomplishes assignments on timely basis
- Demonstrated knowledge of HR relevant laws, policies and best practices
- Action oriented; takes initiative to correct problems or make changes for improvement.
- Detail-oriented with ability to ensure integrity of information and workflow processes
- Applies feedback to improve performance and monitors own work to ensure accuracy and thoroughness
- Effective communications, customer service, and interpersonal skills, both orally and in writing, and with all levels of management and staff
- Contributes to building a positive team spirit
- Ability to effectively multi-task and to listen, analyze and respond to issues as they arise
- Strong administrative, organizational and problem solving skills
- Ability to work honestly, and ethically while maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information
- HRIS, Word, Excel and Google Docs competence required
- Highly conversant with principles and procedures for effective recruitment, employee relations, and performance management
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management or related field
- PHR strongly preferred; SPHR/CEBS certification or Masters in HR/OD a plus
- Three to five years of progressive HR experience with at least 2 years in a Generalist role
- Not-for-profit or education experience strongly preferred
- Proven record of success in delivering HR services in the areas of recruitment, employee relations, training, performance management, compensation and benefits
Applicants may apply by sending your resume, cover letter and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate New Visions HRBP in the subject line.
Only candidates who closely fit the qualifications will be contacted for an interview.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
New Visions for Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of New Visions that all employees and applicants for employment will be treated in all respects on the basis of their merit and qualifications and without regards to their race, color, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion, gender, military status, marital status, ancestry, or any other reason prohibited by law