HUM II Shines the light on!
December Employee of the Month
Richard Phelps,English Teacher
Why do you do what you do?
- I am a weird nerd. I say it proudly now, but when I was young, life was rough. I was bullied daily for my identity and suffered anxiety and depression. Now I use my experiences of overcoming those struggles to empathize and help students cope with their own. The English Language Arts help me to do that, but so did teachers who listened.
What do you love the most about HUM II?
- I am a slow reader and have a different way of thinking than most people. So when I was growing up, learning was all about gradual progress. HUM II celebrates students' progress, no matter their starting point. We respect the individuality of their paths and guide them along.
What are 3 things that people may not know about you?
- I love to party.
- My private life is as diverse as my HUM II life.
- I will eat your food.
What's one of your favorite quotes?
- "Ivan Ilych's life was most simple and most ordinary and therefore most terrible." --Leo Tolstoy
What are some hobbies you do outside of HUM II?
- I consume this city and all of its offerings: its restaurants, its comedy shows, its cinema, its concerts, its drama, its festivals, its cultures. This year I'd like to create: comedy, writing, illustration.
What are some highlights of yours since starting at HUM II?
- Meeting colleagues who warm my heart and bearing witness to students' epiphanies and progress as they grow into independent young adults.